This course is suitable for those wanting to work commercially, as a part of an upholstery or restoration business or for a hobby or for those with a chair they want to repair themselves.
In this course, students will be shown the stripping down process. Revive and repairing the chair frame where needed. The class will go through the six weaving stages. Students will be shown how to peg the completed seat and apply a beaded trim if appropriate for the seat. The cane seat will finally be given a protective dye or wax to finish.
- Ctripping away the old cane, repairs to the frame.
- Start caning stage one and two.
- Caning stage 3, 4 and 5
- Caning stage 5 and 6
- Completed seat finishing
By the end of the course, you will have the ability to:
- use a range of tools and equipment safely and correctly
- prepare chairs for re-seating
- select, prepare and handle materials to best advantage
- work the 6 Way Standard pattern, placing settings, weavings and crossings appropriately, and interweaving all stages correctly
- apply 6 Way Standard pattern to trapezium/bow-fronted chair
- work beaded and pegged finish, securing all loose ends and trimming neatly
- select and apply colours to finished caning
- apply loom cane to appropriate frame
Dates: 01.11.17 - 06.12.17
Duration: One evening a week for 6 weeks
Days: Wednesday, 17.30 - 20.30