This course will teach students to produce a portfolio of work to apply for undergraduate courses in architecture, interior architecture, spatial and urban design.
This week-long intensive summer course will enable students to produce a portfolio of work to be used to apply for further study at University level. The course will focus on addressing spatial, interior and exterior spaces and ideas about built environments. The aim is to develop techniques and improve skills in both observed and experimental drawings.
The course will run over the course of 1 week, and will include:
* An introduction to studying architecture, interior, spatial, urban and three-dimensional design at university level with a brief introduction to Foundation and BA courses in the UK. Examples will be given of different design and architectural courses, studio culture and qualifications to be gained at Undergraduate level
* Introduction to example portfolios
* Drawing and observational skills – using different methods and materials
* Sketching and drawing from life. Embracing the rich culture of the capital, a half-day visit will be made to a London museum/ collection (such as the Design Museum, the Building Centre, the Soane Museum. Venue TBC depending on exhibitions and opening times)
* Drawing to scale – 1 day dedicated to understanding the basic principles of drawing to scale and understanding proportion
* Drawing in 3D drawing and awareness of perspective
* Portfolio presentation, mounting and laying out work in a portfolio
Who should attend?
The course is appropriate for school and college level students and is structured for 16 - 18 year olds. It will also support those preparing their AS or A-level portfolios who have a specific interest in architectural, interior and three-dimensional design. This course does not require prior knowledge of architecture and design but basic skills in drawing and observation will be useful.
We would advise you equip yourself with, at the minimum,:
* A4 or A3 sketch book
* Set of drawing pencils, rubber and pencil sharpener
* Ruler and a scale ruler
* UHU type glue, prig-stick type glue
* Assorted coloured pencils and coloured pens
* Basic set of charcoal sticks or chalks
Dates: 24.07.17 - 28.07.17
Day: Monday - Friday, 10.00 - 17.00
Duration: Five consecutive days