Hand drawn type is a key part of current illustration and graphic design as well as having a rich history in visual arts. It is a great addition to any creative’s repertoire.
On this course you will use a variety of methods and materials to drawn and create letter forms by hand. During the course you will explore different methods of using hand-drawn lettering as a means of visual communication. We will also use hand rendered typography to create imagery and explore the work of practitioners of hand-drawn lettering both past and present.
- An overview of contemporary and past hand drawn type practitioners. Different approaches of drawing letters by hand.
- Creating hand drawn type which communicates specific concepts or ideas. Putting together hand drawn words to create an illustration.
- Scanning and digital translation of type illustration. Manipulation of the digital file in Photoshop and Ilustrator.
By the end of the course, students will be able to;
- Have an overview of contemporary and past hand drawn type practitioners
- Draw letters by hand using different approaches and materials.
- Create hand-drawn type which communicates specific concepts or ideas
- Put together hand-drawn words to create an illustration
- Work in the handcrafted type digitally
This advanced course is suitable for illustrators and designers who want to improve their hand lettering skills.
Dates: 11.10.17 - 08.11.17
Day: Wednesday, 17.30 - 20.30
Duration: One day a week for 5 weeks