Computer Aided Design is a vital part of the construction industry. All architects, technicians and construction industry professionals are expected to have at minimum a basic working knowledge of CAD. This course will further develop your AutoCAD skills previously gained from the AutoCAD Fundamentals course.
Using the most widely used technical drawing software, this course will develop upon existing knowledge of AutoCAD and digital technical drawing. It will build upon an existing knowledge ofther software package and develop new skills for collaborative working and more complex technical drawings.
The course will be delivered as a series of short lectures on the topics listed below. These will be reinforced with a variety of practical exercises. The later sessions will include a ‘surgery’ for troubleshooting and support in a small group.
- Introduction to the software, interface, version differences (inc. full AutoCAD vs. LT)
- Version differences (inc. full AutoCAD vs. LT)
- Using co-ordinate systems
- Efficient drawing - working with shortcuts and the command line
- Drawing techniques for various scales/types of drawing - plans, sections, elevations,details
- Drawing organisation & management, layering, visibility
- Creating and using hatches
- Using styles to manage the appearance of text, dimensions and annotations
- Using blocks, groups
- Smart groups / records
- Plotting/printing, plotstyles, managing and automating output
- Introduction to standards for working with other professionals - focus on AEC (UK) &UNICLASS standards
- Xrefs and team working
- Separating drawing and plot files
- Interchange formats
By the end of the course, students will have the;
- Ability to draw 2D details
- Ability to present and style content for printing
- Beginnings of working in 3D
- Methods of team working and collaboration
The course is suitable for anyone with a basic existing knowledge of AutoCAD who are already using AutoCAD, but wish to revise and expand their skills.
- Existing knowledge of drawing conventions, architectural terminology, and methods of working within construction industry.
- Basic computer proficiency
- Beginners / basic grasp of principles and use of AutoCAD
Dates: 28.10.17 -18.11.17
Day: Saturday, 11.00 - 17.00
Duration: One day a week for 4 weeks